As the mercury continue to dip in the UK, I am find deep comfort in everything that can be slurped from a bowl.
And nothing comforts more than a piping hot soup. All the more good if its healthy. So here is my tomato and sweet potato soup. Yeah that combination is not heard too often, but trust me you will love the soup. The sweet potato great texture and cuts the sharpness of the tomatoes. Plus being a healthier alternative to white potatoes.
The toppings and trimmings can be just anything you fancy. From grilled chicken to scrambled eggs to fried tofu, or humble crusty bread you can get as creative as you please. So let’s dive into the recipe.
- A can of plum tomatoes OR beef tomatoes or any other tomatoes about 300-400gms. This will make sufficient soup for 2 people
- 1 medium to large sweet potato peeled and roughly diced
- 1 medium red or white onion
- 1-2 cloves of medium sized garlic
- 8-10 peppercorns
- Soya sauce
- Sesame oil
- Vegetable stock cubes or bouillon powder about 1 tbsp dissolved in water
- A small pack of rice noodles
- Chives or spring onions
- 1-3 eggs to scramble (Optional)
- Cheddar cheese (Optional)
- In a pan or slow cooker or pressure cooker, add roughly chopped onion, garlic, black peppercorns, sweet potato and tomatoes. Add vegetable stock or bouillon with water. Season with salt and cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Once done, blitz it to smooth consistently with a hand blender. All ready!
- To serve, you can go creative with the toppings or just have the soup hot with crusty bread.
- Add some soya sauce and sesame oil for flavour. You can also add siracha sauce if you like for some heat.
- I cooked one rice noodle cake by pouring boiling hot water on it in a bowl.
- I also have added scrambled eggs on top. Added cheese while scrambling the egg which gives it a wonderful flavour.
- Add noodles and egg to your bowl of soup and garnish with some spring onions or chives and a drizzle of sesame oil.
Enjoy the soup and mop it all up till the last drop. Would love to know if you liked it.