I always say, the ugliest looking soup is mushroom soup; I always struggle to get a good picture of it. But it’s probably one of the most easiest and delicious soup in my recipe list. I posted another super simple one recently, with tomatoes and sweet potatoes, check it here.
With a very busy work life, it’s almost imperative to be on a constant search for healthy yet easy recipes. People usually tend to believe all soups = healthy; but it’s not always true. Soups can also tend to gravitate towards being unhealthy with addition of lots of butter, cream or cheese. But then like everything else, the key is always in moderation.
This mushroom soup is basic and very quick to make. You can choose to keep it healthy and dairy free OR add a touch of luxury by adding cream. I would suggest if you are adding cream, go for single cream. You can also try adding whipped cream cheese or mascarpone to make it creamier and rich. Or just leave it and keep it plain; yet very delicious. So let’s dive in the recipe.
- 2 packs of mushroom, about 400-450gms
- 1 large onion
- 3 medium garlic cloves or 2 large
- 300-350 ml of good quality low sodium chicken stock. You can also use vegetable stock
- Stems of fresh thyme
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Cream (optional)
- For garnishing white truffle oil, parmesan cheese, any herbs like chives, dill or parsley
- Place a soup pan or a large casserole on heat and add 2 tbsp olive oil.
- Add chopped onion and garlic and let it soften. Cook till it becomes translucent but not brown.
- Now add the chopped mushrooms with few sticks of fresh thyme. Cook for few min till mushrooms soften.
- Add the stock. If its less, supplement with water. Season with salt. Remember the stock will also have salt.
- Cover and let it cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Remove the thyme stems. Blitz with a hand blender till the soup is fine and creamy. You can reserve few spoonfuls of mushroom before blitzing to decorate on top. Add cream if you are using it and mix well.
- Check the consistency of the soup. Mine was too thick so i returned it back to heat and added some water and gave it a quick boil. You can decide based on how you like the soup. If its too thin, then boil on high heat to reduce the water content.
- Once done, serve ladles full of it in a bowl with cheese, truffle oil, pepper and some herbs.
- Serve with crusty bread or with some wild rice.
I would love to hear back if you tried this soup and how it turned out. Also would be great to get some recommendations on healthy and quick soup recipes that you love having.
Until next time, eat healthy.