This is a real simple, healthy and by far quick dinner or midweek lunch.
We get these big bags of mixed coloured peppers in stores in London. They are great when you want to have all the rainbow coloured vegetables in your diet. No better way than to roast a batch of them which can last you over two meals. Eat as a side or dish up a salad with some additions. And this is plant based.
For this recipe I have roasted mixed peppers, aubergine and zucchini. The percentage of peppers is almost 75% so you get more of them. However my favourite of the lot are aubergines which taste so yummy when roasted. So lets dive in.
- Mixed peppers – I had 1 large of green, yellow, red, orange
- 1 large aubergine
- 2 medium zucchini; good to have different colours, I got only green
- 1 large red onion
- 3-4 large cloves of garlic
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
For the salad
- 1 block of feta
- Handful of mixed olives – I had brown and green
- Dried oregano
- Chilli flakes
- Olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 200 C for 5-7 minutes
- In couple of large roasting tins or baking sheets spray olive oil or line with parchment paper
- Chop the vegetables roughly , not very thin.
- Arrange peppers, aubergines and zucchini separately. Also do not fill too many together, spread them out. These vegetables have lot of water. If they are kept too close they release water and moisture which does not help in roasting them well. They may be cooked faster than getting a roast flavour.
- For onions, they will take a little longer, you can also decide how well roasted you want them. Place the garlic cloves in between the veggies.
- Drizzle olive oil. Feel free to massage with your fingers to ensure all pieces are coated well.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place them in the top shelf preferably. Turn the oven to grill mode and set the timer for 20 minutes.
- Now some things you need to keep in mind. Zucchini cook very fast and release lot of water. So I would recommend doing them separately and put them on top shelf close to grill. Next is aubergines. If they are sliced too thin, they shrivel and become crunchy. So if you want them to roast well, slice them a little thick and keep the skin side up. The peppers, keep them also skin side up will cook in about 15-20 min. They will get charred as well with black blisters; which is exactly what we want.
- Keep an eye on your veggies. Cook them in batches if that’s more convenient. You can also decide how soft you want your veggies so accordingly remove the from the oven. Let them cool.
For the salad
- Dressing : In a jar add about 2 tbsp olive oil, squeeze a lemon, add the pulp of the roasted garlic (ensure its mashed to a paste), 1 tbsp raw honey, salt, chilli flakes, oregano. Shake it really well or blend in blender. You can adjust any of these items according to your taste.
- In a salad dish add the mixed vegetables.
- Add olives.
- Cut feta cubes or if you like to crumble that’s fine as well.
- Pour the dressing and mix everything together.
- Serve as a side with meat dishes, rice or just enjoy a healthy low calorie salad.