When I visited Antalya in December 2022, one of the staple breakfast was Turkish eggs. Hot eggs with fluffy toasted bread and turkish tea, a cat sitting almost in your lap and vast Mediterranean sea infront of you. I wish every day could be so idyllic.
Anyhow, what I really loved were these eggs and the cute skillets in which they were served. One of the egg preparations was ‘Menemen‘
Menemen are turkish scrambled eggs. I loved them. Its very similar to how we make ‘egg bhurji‘ in India too. And the best part is, it’s a great way to get some veggies in your diet right at the time of breakfast. Its an easy to make breakfast and very savoury too. Kids will love it. You could make some variations, but the traditional recipe is onions+peppers+tomatoes+eggs. Lets dive in!
- Eggs – 4-5 or depending on the quantity you want to cook
- Mixed peppers – Green, Red, Yellow, Red OR just one colour depending on whats available
- 1 large red onion
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes OR 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes from the can
- Red chilli flakes preferably aleppo pepper else normal red chilli flakes will do
- Olive Oil
- Oregano , Black pepper- Optional
- In a hot pan add 1-2 tbsp of olive oil. When hot add chopped red onions and fry them till pink
- Now add the crushed garlic and cook for few min. Dont let it burn
- Add the cilli flakes and cook the mixture for few minutes
- Now add the chopped peppers. Cook till they are just soft. You can cover the lid and also cook for few minutes.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and cook till they soften
- Finally add lightly beaten eggs. Add salt. Scramble them with a spoon. Ensure it does not become too dry. So the moment its scrambled and mixed well with the veggies remove the pan from heat
- Garnish with parsley or coriander. If you like you can also add Oregano.
- Serve with slices of bread or you can even have it with pitta or lavash bread.