I mostly end of with excess of leek every now and then in my fridge, and then dont know what to do with them. I use them in various stir fries, but still there is one or two generally found shoved back in the lower shelf of my fridge. So in an attempt to try and make something different to use the veggies I came up with these fritters. I don’t know if they qualify to be called fritters or frittata or cutlets or even patties, but they are somewhere in between.
These are also a great way to get some veggies in your system, specially kids.
So lets dive in.
- 2 cups shredded leeks
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup self raising flour
- Olive oil spray/ Simply olive oil will do too
- Salt and pepper
- carrom seeds (optional)
- Bunch of fresh coriander
- 1 red onion
- 1-2 cloves of crushed garlic
- Grate or shred the leeks and carrots and place in a large bowl. Add finely diced onion and garlic.
- Add all other ingredients and mix together. If the mix is too wet add some extra flour.
- Heat a pan and spray olive oil.
- Spoon small portions of the mix and pat them flat with the back of the spoon. On a medium heat let them cook and get crisp
- Serve with salad, mayo or sauce of your choice.
With kids, and if they are picky eaters, it becomes almost imperative to come out with ways to feed them vegetables. There is no better way to turn the daily boring steamed or roasted veg into something interesting and delicious. This recipe will help you achieve your goals.
You can also try different vegetable like courgettes or bell peppers for a variation.
Let me know in comments if you try this out and how it turns out. Until next time, eat healthy!