In winters, I detest having cold salads; same time I want to have salads because I love them so much and it’s a great way to get a healthy meal. Hence I am always looking for and trying to invent my own warm salad recipes.
With a hectic work life, it’s tough to get an elaborate meal on weekdays, specially lunches while working from home. So this salad was born on a very busy day of calls and facetimes. When I just grabbed what I got and turned it into something very warm and delicious. Here is my super duper simple 10 minutes warm Curried chickpeas and apple salad.
- A tin of boiled chickpeas. Its 400 gms tin and the drained weight would be less than 200gms.
- Spices 1 tsp of each : Cumin, chilli powder, turmeric powder, mild curry powder
- 1 medium Finely diced onion
- 1/2 Cucumber
- 1 medium Tomato
- Cilantro/Coriander or parsley or any salad leaves
- Few Red salad radish
- 1 medium size apple. I peeled and diced it.
- 1 Lime
- Salt, pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- Handful of toasted mixed nuts
- In a heated pan add olive oil. Add cumin, chilli and turmeric powder. Just allow it to sizzle for few seconds.
- Add drained chickpeas and mix well. Add curry powder and salt and mix it together. Needs 2-3 min just all of it to come together. Incase there is some water keep on medium heat till it evaporates. Remove and keep aside
- In a mixing bowl add all the diced ingredients other than the nuts. Add chickpeas. Do ensure they are not very hot else the veggies and apple will turn soggy and taste odd.
- Add some lime juice, salt and pepper to taste. Serve in a salad plate. Sprinkle the nuts on the top.
This is such a tasty and super simple salad. And a protein and vitamin packed one. So many veggies and chickpeas, its a healthy salad for anyone who is weight watching. I like that it’s warm and the curried chickpeas gives it a taste different from the usual salad dressing.
You can try so many variations like adding diced peppers and carrots OR even trying it with other beans like Red kidney or Black eyed beans too. Adding fruit in the salad is such a smart idea as it just adds so much nutrition. Try my Prawn and Mango salad which is equally amazing.
Let me know if you try this. Until next time, eat healthy.